- 150g/5oz celery sticks (about 2-3 sticks), diced
- 2 lbs yellow onions, chopped
- 1 splash of olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons (3/4 teaspoon dry) fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon (1 teaspoon dry) fresh sage
- 500g sourdough bread (about 6 cups when diced), diced
- 200g + 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 – 2.5 cups (400 – 500ml) turkey or chicken stock, or mixture
- 100g pecans or walnuts
- ⅓ cup (50g) dried cranberries
- 75g Balsajo Black Garlic cloves
- Chopped mushrooms &/or apples
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- In a deep and wide saucepan, slowly caramelize onions and celery in a splash of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of butter, until soft and slightly browned – about 15 minutes. When done turn the heat off and reserve.
- Meanwhile, spread nuts in a small baking tray in a single layer. In a second, large baking tray spread diced sourdough in a single layer if possible. Place both trays in oven and bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove both trays out of the oven. Nuts are now toasted and you can reserve them for later.
- Stir sourdough croutons and return the tray back to the oven for further 10 minutes.
- When done mix sourdough croutons with onions and celery, herbs and pour the stock in.
- Chop nuts, cranberries and black garlic cloves and add them to the mix above.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Butter large baking tray and pour your sourdough stuffing mix in. Spread slices of butter all over and bake for 40 min.
Store refrigerated for up to 5 days.