Slow Cooker Chilli Con Carne with Beans and Black Garlic
Created for Balsajo Black Garlic by Justyna Serwach
Healthy Chilli Con Carne With Beans And Black Garlic is a best slow-cooker beef chili recipe I’ve ever had. It is super easy and goes great with accompaniments like boiled rice or quinoa, plus sour cream, scallions or cheddar.
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 medium size yellow onions, chopped
- Good splash of olive oil
- 4 large raw garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of quality red chilli powder, adjust the amount to your heat tolerance
- 1 whole red chilli, deseeded & finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 lbs chunks or ground beef
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (400g/14oz)
- 2 cans red kidney beans (2 x 400g/14oz)
- 1 large green red or green bell pepper, chopped
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 50g Balsajo Black Garlic cloves, sliced thinly & more to serve
- 150 ml beef stock
- 200ml – 250 ml dry red wine
- 100g dark chocolate or 2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa powder
- cheddar cheese, scallions, sour cream
- In a large, wide pan cook onions and celery in oil until softened, about 15 minutes. Stir in raw garlic, chili powder, fresh chilli, turmeric, cumin, coriander and allow to toast gently until you can smell the aroma of the spices (about 2 minutes).
- Turn the heat up, add beef to the pan and cook it until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Transfer everything to your slow cooker. Add pepper, tomatoes, beans, stock and any optional ingredients like cocoa powder or chocolate. Cook for 7h on low heat setting OR 4h on high. In the last 40 min, turn heat up to high and add finely chopped black garlic and wine.
- Serve with crusty bread or rice, with some sour cream, grated cheddar or scallions.